When I saw her "Joy" display I decided to give that one a try. Only 3 letters, can't be that bad, right?
All I can say is, Jodi has the patience of a saint.
3D letters are probably my least fun thing to ever assemble. Especially curved ones like the J and the O. The Y wasn't too awful. It's also very time consuming to glue together zig zag edges and wait til they are sturdy enough to glue more zig zag edges, not to mention trying to put pressure on a hollow 3D letter when you are gluing it together...eek!
All 3 letters are from the Sil store (I just searched 3D letters). I made the J as large as it would fit on a 12x12" page, turning it diagonally to get it even bigger. The Y was resized to be about 1/2 the J and the box under the Y was meant to be the other half of the J, size-wise, but it came up a little short so I used corrugated cardboard to quickly make a sweater box (maybe?) so it looks like a stack of presents and balances out the J. The O was sized to match the top half of the Y.
After those were cut, I used the Silhouette Knife Tool to slice all the tabs and stuff off of the letters so I just had a flat J and Y (I don't need the O for this part). I used the line tool to fill in any missing lines, pattern filled them with the argyle (J) and holly/berry pattern (Y) and used the Print & Cut feature. I then glued these to the front of the J and the Y.
For the O, I downloaded a wreath in the Silhouette Store and cut every layer out of print and cut in different shades of green with one layer being a pattern that had berries. The bow was color filled in red and print & cut at the same time. I like to stick as much on a sheet as I can when I do print & cut! I also downloaded a 3D Star, color filled it yellow, and, you guessed it, print & cut!
The bow and the tree pieces were cut out of green paper (different papers) and the box was cut at the same time I cut the Y, since they both fit on a 12x12 paper. In fact, the box is from the "BOO" display I made in October! I just erased the B and voila, plain box. The base of the tree I filled with a wood pattern and again utilized the print & cut feature.
So...everything is cut. I already mentioned what a pain in the butt it is to put together these letters. Here's some in-process photos. Yes, I gave up and started trying to discretely use tape.